Driving With Suspended License
The defense lawyers at Marshall Bonus Proetta & Oliver have developed a strong reputation defending driving while suspended and other charges in Ocean County. We are a team of eight criminal attorneys who have been defending individuals charged for driving with a suspended license in towns like Stafford, Berkeley, Toms River, Brick Township and Lacey. We certainly know our way around the court system in these municipalities as we have not only been practicing in these jurisdictions for over a century between us but also because an attorney on our staff, Matthew Dorry, is the former prosecutor of the each of them, as well as more than 10 others in Ocean County. Our staff is highly skilled in defending driving while suspended and offers an excellent option for helping you escape a conviction for your ticket or summons. To speak to a lawyer immediately, contact our office at (732) 286-6500 for a free consultation.Driving While Suspended Offense in Ocean County
If you were issued a summons or ticket for driving with a suspended or revoked license, you face serious penalties. A conviction in Little Egg Harbor, Jackson or another municipal court will result in an additional period of suspension which certainly could effect your career, education, family and other aspects of your life. N.J.S.A. 39:3-40 is the law that governs driving while suspended in New Jersey and sets forth the penalties that apply for a first offense, second offense, third or subsequent offense, as well as more particularized circumstances. You will face the following at the time of sentencing if you are found guilty or plead guilty to driving while suspended:
Standard Penalties for Driving with a License That Is Suspended or Revoked
(1) For a first offense, an individual is required to pay a $500.00 fine and his/her license suspended for an additional period of up to 6 months.
(2) For a second offense, an individual faces a $750.00 fine, has his/her license revoked for up to 6 months and is subject to a jail sentence of 1 to 5 days.
(3) For a third or subsequent offense, an individual is required to pay a fine of $1,000.00, have his/her license suspended for 6 months and must serve 10 days in jail.
(4) If an individual operates a vehicle with a suspended or revoked license and is involved in an automobile accident which results in bodily injury to another person, he or she is subject to a minimum of 45 days jail time, but not to exceed 180 days, and an additional suspension of up to 2 years, and a fine of $500.00.
(5) If an individual operates an automobile without a valid license on school property or within 1,000 feet of school property, he or she is subject to an additional suspension of up to 2 years, a $500.00 fine, and 60-90 days jail time; for a second offense, he or she is subject to 120-150 days jail time; for a third or subsequent offense, he or she is subject to 180 days jail time.
(6) If an individual permits another person to operate his or her automobile while knowing that the driver has a suspended or revoked license, he or she is subject to license revocation for a specified period.
(7) If the suspension is for DWI or Refusal To Provide a Breath Test, a first offense results in a $1,000, an additional 12-30 months license suspension and 10-90 days in jail. Click here for additional information for driving while suspended for DWI.
Type of Offense
Up to 6 Months
Up to 6 Months
Up to 5 Days
Up to 6 Months
Our attorneys understand how important it is for you to maintain your driving privileges and will work diligently to insure that you avert a poor result. Our track record of success in avoiding convictions for driving while suspended spans decades and our team even includes an attorney, Matthew Dorry, who is the former prosecutor of approximately 15 Ocean County municipalities. If you were charged with driving with a suspended license in Point Pleasant, Barnegat, Manchester, Ocean Township, Eagleswood, a lawyer at Marshall Bonus Proetta & Oliver is fully equipped to secure the outcome you need. Call us at 732-286-6500 for a free initial consultation with one of our lawyers.
Driving while suspended defense lawyers at Marshall Bonus Proetta & Oliver, 250 Washington Street, Toms River, NJ 08753, defend clients in Toms River, Brick, Stafford, Berkeley Township, Point Pleasant, Barnegat, Lacey, Manchester, Jackson, Little Egg Harbor, Ocean Township, Eagleswood and elsewhere in Ocean County.Additional Traffic Offense Resources